CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I Made Challah!

I feel like I've reached a new level of breadmaking this past week. I took the plunge into challah. Yeah! Just a few months ago, I never would've imagined being able to make a breaded bread from scratch much less a basic white bread. I feel so confident now. It also helps that Chris LOVED the challah I made.

I found this recipe over at Tammy's Recipes and after I clicked on over from Biblical Womanhood. These two ladies have really become two of my favorite blogs. Such wonderful recipes and inspiration.

Anywhoo, on to the actual recipe and pictures.

This recipe yields 2 large loaves of a lovely braided white bread traditionally served on the Sabbath.

1 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cups honey
1 tablespoon oil
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons dry yeast
5 cups flour, plus additional flour (mine was closer to 6-6.5 cups)

1. Combine ingredients in a large bowl in order listed. Add enough flour and knead to make a smooth dough. Knead approximately 10 minutes.

2. Oil a bowl and place dough inside. Flip the dough to be sure both sides are oiled. Let rise in a warm place until doubled (mine took just over 2 hours...kind of cold in our house). Punch down.

3. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 14-15" long and an inch in diameter.

4. Lay 4 ropes side by side and pinch tops together. Braid tightly (the difficult part for me) starting on the left, taking the rope over two and under one. Pinch bottom ends and fold under.


Being Braided


Finished Braid

5. Place braids on greased baking sheets (I was able to use one with the braids side by side) and cover. Let rise in a warm place for 25-30 minutes.

Both Braids ready for the oven

6. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar (or whatever you want...Tammy says to use sesame or poppy seeds). Bake at 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until done. (Note: If loaves are on separte sheets, rotate halfway through baking time for even baking).

I had so much fun making this challah and I look forward to making it again. I took one loaf to a women's retreat I attended on Friday night and left the other one for Chris to eat while I was gone. He loved it and made sure I would make it again for him. That is no problem, Honey!

ENJOY!!





1 Readers Shared Their Love:

MaryLu said...

Ooh, that looks so yummy! My DH loves Challah bread, I'll have to try that one soon.